Wednesday 8 October 2014

Article on Illustration

When looking for articles on Visual Communications artists I found one that interested me greatly in the current edition of Creative Review Magazine. The article was part of the fashion issue the magazine currently has out for Autumn 2014 and was called Bags of Style by Antonia Wilson. I hope to continue studying fashion in the future and have looked at bags before but in a totally different context. In the past I have researched the rise of ethical, sustainable carrier bags and the 'I am not a plastic bag' campaign by Anya Hindmarch.
 This article was the first time I have seen carrier bags as art forms and it was easy to picture some of the illustrations on them exhibited properly. Many well known brands were featured in the article from high street to designer with H and M and Chanel as well as lesser known ones like Biba and Fiorucci.
 

 

 

 
 
 
Something that this article has taught me is that an illustration doesn't have to be overthought and over worked as even the most simple well considered idea can still create a beautiful image. For example the Chanel bag only has 3 components, a lipstick, the outline of a face and the company name yet it works as whole image so well. The Celtic style logo for Biba is so beautiful that the bag needs nothing else but the name to go along with it and it is this idea of keeping things simple to make a bold statement that I find so interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment